Friday, July 09, 2010

REASON - THOU ART WASTED ON THE YOUNG

* This is an old post which I notice was put in draft mode. I can't remember why. When I hit the publish button, it's published on a current date. Malas lak nak check when was the actual date. Kalau rajin, bacalah...*

This post is actually a response to Nin's and dedicated to all mothers (and fathers alike) out there who are pulling their hair and gauging their eyes out of their sockets while coping with child-raising (No? None of you are feeling this? Just me? OK, call social service, people)

I don't think that I put enough emphasis on how wonderfully irrational Nunu has been since she's been plagued with the terrible two virus.

Every request for her to be more independent is met with cries of helplessness. When she used to love using the stairs without help before, now she wants to be carried like a poor wretched soul. Now that I mention it, she's been asking me to carry her almost all the time especially if I'm standing - while cooking, while loading the washing machine, while doing the dishes, while hanging the clothes, going in or out the car, going in or out of the house, while walking to get some dinner at the stalls or browsing at the grocery shop. She even wants me to carry her while I'm sitting down folding the laundry!

And no, momma has to carry her a certain way ("like this! macam ni, bukan macam ni!") with both hands under her bum lest I let her fall in my exasperation to do as she says. So I know how it feels like when she's been walking around with a 28 pound monkey hanging around her neck. Clingy to the max! I've tried reasoning with her with both cool-calm authority and harsher firmer parenting (scolding, pinching, nagging = bad parenting!) but tell me, how do you make a pool of screaming, kicking, weeping force of nature listen to you?


Sure she acts cute most if the time

Every command for her to keep her stuff neat is met with ferocious refusal - followed with violent, most convincing crocodile tears. God knows what got into me when I bought for her a masak-masak playset, some musical toys and a new pair of baby tennis racket while shopping for groceries the other day. I guess it's one of those impulsive dump-into-the-trolley buys you get when you see something so good and so cheap. We had fun and made those toys worth their while, make believing that she's cooking me moi for a change, that we're a team of mother-daughter troubadour playing on the streets, and that she's Maria and I'm Daniela.


Look at those scrapes and scabs!

Now that the novelty of their newness are wearing off, she likes her toys just scattered around because she's comfortable with the clutter. Like her crayons, she actually threw a fit when I packed them up because she wanted to keep on scratching the surfaces and make more colourful crayon flakes on the floor *slaps forehead*

And when I told her to tidy up, her ultimate response would be "NO! Momma kemaslah!" *insert eardrum piercing whine and other annoying sounds here* If I stuck to my guns and keep on insisting she should take care of her own belongings (which I did last Friday night), get prepared to lose a battle and feel shitty for the rest of the night.

You see, Nunu should be a poster girl for Malay old wives tales. If she throws a fit, things will get worse later on or melarat-larat. She would be tossing and turning or wake up in the middle of the night crying for no apparent reason. She must have been only emotionally distraught by the day's incidence, but you know what, I'm sick of being the bad guy who makes her cry, and can I do something about it to at least alleviate this sense of guilt in me? Apparently no, coz almost immediately I get the "Ouh, you shouldn't have made her cry" piece of wisdom.

This may sound a little funny now, but believe me, it was not. More excruciatingly torturous was this experience for me due to the hard to digest fact that it's straining our relationship with the master of the house whose opinion on child raising differs from mine. His latest ultimatum is to stop buying Nunu toys until she learns to pick after herself. Can you believe that? A rather simplistic solution, don't you think?

A couple of months ago when Nunu was just fine-tuning her new found art of tantrum throwing over silly things (which was a rare occurrence because she's just normally rowdy in her girly buas way) I had a nerve wrecking time trying to deal with it all by myself, and it's even more disappointing that people thought that I was encouraging this type of behavior by doing all I can to pacify her instead of putting my foot down and telling her to stop the nonsense.

For example, one of the first events when Nunu started pulling stunts in public, we were just about to get ready to go back to our apartment after a swim at Bukit Merah Waterpark. She suddenly started screaming and thrashing about and was babbling nonsense. I couldn't find out the source of the tantrum and she wouldn't be pacified (not even with nenen!) until about 15 agonizing minutes later at the changing room, all she wanted was to wipe her runny nose on my shirt. Everyone around me was genuinely stupefied at her behavior.

Now, whenever she has some hingus/snot, I have to give her my shirt or tudung as wipes, no tissues or hankies please. And it irksome to others, because 'dah ajar macam tu' (I've 'taught her that way)

Am I being shamelessly bullied by my own child here? Am I being a floor mat and letting everyone step all over me all the time? Will my forbearance with this behavior result in a more spoiled child? Do I need someone to smack some sense into me and quit being so whiny and just deal with it?

No wonder my daughter is such a drama queen. She got it from her momma.


Just let her slide her way

p/s: more playground pics on Nunu's blog
Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

Sasha Tan said...

daniela..we same geng la. If J cry in the evening, then that's it ls. Satu malam i no need to sleep. He will wake up cry for dunno what reason.

nuhaafnan said...

hahah luckily u dun call me miss hantu. hantuchova! hahahah

Ann always said...

miss independent yesterday miss clingy today. you are spot on. alesha pun makin hari makin menjadi. the daddy can't even put up with her for a couple of hours (lepas balik kerja) so imagine what spending time 24/7 with her would do to my sanity. ayaiyaiyai....

Anonymous said...

I so know how you feel...
Ashley like that too! toys all over the floor and throws a tantrum when i clear her toys up....so i used barney! Barney has this song which goes something like this ' clean up clean up everybody everywhere....' and the video showed kids clearing up their toys after play...
So each time i clear her toys, i'd sing the song and she'd follow suit. It works...not all the time but it does work at times la:P
apart from that, we just get her to clear her toys before bedtime...we'd do it together...and try to make it fun.

Nadia said...

Hey babe, I'm hoping that this is just a phase that Nunu goes through and soon it'll all be well and dandy again. I know you guys do have fun most of the time.. so I guess that's good, right? Hang in there!!!!! ;)

Nina @ BabyBoon said...

alamak, anne, i really really really feel for u when i read this entry. you poor poor mummy.

the way i see it, u're trying your damnest and it's frustrating when people are being judgmental and saying stuff like "dah ajar macam tu"..... most of the times, sure they dont mean any harm but it sure makes us feel like bad mothers..

like nadia, i hope this is just a phase nunu's going through too. i've learned that motherhood sure doesnt get any easier as they get older! gib has just now learned the arts of crocodile-tears and whinings... so far he's practicing em alot on his Baba but i'm soo dreading the day that they'll be a normal routine of every-and-any-day.

hang in there hun!...

nuhaafnan said...

ann, i'm talking im the only mom in the world going loco, truthfully, most kids act like this kan? just bear with it la

dinah, thnks for the tips! it never crossed my mind to think of 'other' methods to get the little girl to listen to me. hmm momma needs to be creative this time, but, errr... does it have to be barney? barney freaks me out lar

nadia, yup! thank god i can block out the negative vibes most of the time, but the point of the post is all about venting :)

bb, huhuhu please please get the sympathy coming, i need a lot of it! haha no seriously i'm should feel soooo blessed actually coz nunu doesn't weigh as much as other kids and her tantrums are actually manageable given the situation.

Sarah said...

Dearest Anne, I'm so sorry that you are experiencing all this. I know it must've been really hard for you. You're not alone. My son also has character of some sort. I don't know how it will be when he turns 2 but right now for me he's really really testing my patience.

He would throw tantrums for quite a period of time, sometimes wants to be held all the the time, and many more that makes me look like a bad mommy because it's like he knows all the things that he shouldn't do but does it...and this is like every single day!

I'm sure it's just a phase for Nunu. Most hyper active/drama queen kids will eventually slow down when they get older.

Anonymous said...

all kids (unless they're robots) behave like this at some point or another and all mums stress out like this at some point or another. LOL!
beb, they're just testing their boundaries and stretching the limits of our patience during this phase BUT like everything else it will pass. yang lain2 tu, pekakkan telinga jer lah anne. if it gets too much, get out of the room, seriously!

p/s: drama queens eh? ;)

Siti Blogger said...

First of all, don't always assume people are judging you because it'll only drive you nuts. Everybody thinks they can be better parents to somebody else's kids! Even those who are not yet parents!

Secondly, about those toys...with my kids, I got so pening kepala with the mess they make everyday so one day, i dumped all of the toys in the storeroom. And then, whenever they become bored or difficult (like nak ikut abah pegi kerja, or any other ridiculous request that I can't fulfill), I would take them to the storeroom and let them pick a toy or two.

They seem to love this occasional trip to the storeroom because the storeroom has always been a kawasan larangan. And then, for subsequent trips, the rule is that they have to put some toys back in before they can take another toy out. That way they only have a reasonable amount of toys to play with at any one time.

Less mess, less headache!!

Anonymous said...

sorry anne, nak menyampuk sket.

to nin, that's a FANTASTIC idea. i'm going to implement it :D

nuhaafnan said...

phantasma, alahai no need to feel sorry for me lah darling! but thanks anyway, things are unbearable sometimes that i can't help but 'lose' it. but it's good to hear from all my mommy friends that they're facing the same problem (???)

yati, kuat nyampok la awak ni. hihi yeah, and all moms at one point will feel like i did, unless they're robots of course! i think i need to get off my butt and be more pro-active to avoid future face-offs lah. Implement sthing that works and always, always have back up plans.

nin, your approach is genius! although there is a chance that kind of approach will backfire if i use it on nunu now. furthermore, my store room is a p**sty! the whole house is chaos. Isk, gotta get organized, pronto.

MDR said...

hear, hear, ur not alone dear!alamak, that rhymes :-)

it's hard trying to understand them in this struggling for independence yet clinging to mommy phase..makes me think it's some sorta schizophrenic stage that all toddlers go through..

Glad to know I'm not alone, as many mommies can relate to all these issues of discipline, independence, clinginess, crocodile tears, whining, the works!

And speaking of whining, Aqila has a new nickname now..it's Aqila "Whine-house"...tee hee..

Sure I joke about it, but the whining can sure drive me up the wall, most times...*sigh*...

knv said...

kehkehkeh! comelnyaaa nunu with the antics.

bebudak cam gitu la ekk?

myself kalau dah penaaattt sgt kena buli ngan bebudak, i can almost always burst to tears. pastu baru depa kelam kabut la dok hurung kepala mama. pakat nangis ramai2 ;)

rasakan!!

nuhaafnan said...

mdr, 'whinehouse'! hahah so cute! of coz la, when you've settled down and look at things in retrospect, it is a little funny. I'm sure all mothers experience the same thing with their kids, but sometimes, sigh... i just wish i have a little bit more support, that's all.

ana, wargh3x! ada pulak scene 'batu belah batu bertangkup'! haha syahdunya... hmm i wonder if my 'air mata' trick would work?

J.A.D said...

about that toy-store idea, ermm.. i even dedicated a whole room just for toys. You know la how toys can accumulate and mr daddy insist on spending the first money drawn out from his ppayrool every month for new toys for the kids. bilik mainan jgn kata la mmg tak blh sua kaki, the problem is, i think the toys walked themselves out of the room into every room in the house including toilets. we mom can never win...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...